Thursday, March 28, 2013

I'll Be Here in the Morning if you Say Stay


I've been wanting to do one of these posts for a while, ever since I was listening to Evanescence's "Never Go Back" and related it to my fic. However... that post can wait. Right now I am in a very Kairi mood, and therefore am doing a post on this song.

Stay - Safetysuit
I'm going to start this off by saying that Safetysuit is an absolutely wonderful band. Of their (only) album "Life Left to Go" there's only one song that I don't like, and that's only because it's a really slow song and I just can't relate to it at all (the song happens to be "Gone Away" in case you're wondering) 
"Annie" happens to be my personal favorite, though only narrowly. "The Moment" is fun to listen to, as is "Apology". "What If" and "Anywhere but Here" are just beautiful. 

But enough about the album.

~~~

"Stay" is, very simply, my SoKai song for Falling to Pieces, and possibly the rest of the series, too. 

And, I'm going to really quickly give you an overview of how it applies and then break it down lyric by lyric, okay?

"Stay" captures Kairi's desperate attempts to keep Sora from falling into darkness almost perfectly. It portrays this sense of "hey, this isn't right, you should really stop... I just don't have the heart to stop you myself... please come back..." The way she tries to stay with him, even though he's very quickly leaving her behind, the way she tries to trust him, tries to be kind to him, even though he's almost completely gone. And, definitely, it portrays how she's not mad with him; that all she wants is him to come back to her.


"Walking out the door this morning wondering what it is that's going on with you,"
Do I need to explain this one?
Kairi's shock and confusion upon first seeing who Sora's becoming...

"Thinking of a way to say I'm sorry for something I'm not sure I do,"
She'll apologize for something she hasn't done, just as long as it brings him back

The chorus is almost self-explanatory.
"Something must have made you say that; what did I do?"
Kairi's not necessarily one to blame herself, though, but the point is there.
"What can I do to make you say 'come back to me'?"
well, this one doesn't fit perfectly, but perfection is hard to come by. I've found few songs that every singly lyric happens to fit. However, the heart of this would be:
"What can I do to make you come back?" 

"So come on baby let me in and show me what this really is about,"
another self-explanatory one...

"And I'll be here in the morning if you say stay,"
 She's not about to leave him. If she did leave, it would only be at his request.

~~~

hrm... I thought I would have more to say than that.

oh well. Why don't you just go listen to the song yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment